Career Opportunity: Safety and Systems Assurance Engineer
Wednesday August 2nd, 2017
ASV Global are actively recruiting for a Safety and System Assurance Engineer to support the development of the latest cutting edge maritime autonomous systems and help develop the functional safety competence of the organisation.
As a Safety and System Assurance Engineer you will be carrying out a range of safety engineering activities and analyses on all areas of the autonomous marine system, including autonomous behaviours, navigation, command and control, and communication systems. This work will contribute to the development and maintenance of IEC 61508 safety cases and approval by Lloyd’s Register, to demonstrate that the safety risk of operating and maintaining this equipment is as low as reasonably possible.
Job title: Safety and Systems Assurance Engineer
About ASV Global:
We are a fast paced, rapidly expanding, world leading company, specialising in the design, build and operation of unmanned maritime vehicles and control systems. We operate in the Military, energy and research sectors and build innovative, technologically advanced products to solve difficult problems.
Our UK offices just outside Portsmouth, Hampshire provides a perfect location for the development and testing of our products. We solve the problems that others can’t.
Our success is due to the people we employ – if you’re smart, adaptable, highly productive, a team player and relish the challenge that comes with solving difficult problems then ASV Global is for you.
Location: Portchester, Hampshire UK (view on map)
- Developing and implementing a functional safety management system within the organisation
- Capture, analysis and implementation of customer requirements
- Definition and review of system and safety requirements (including control strategies meeting industrial standards and legislative requirements).
- Developing functional safety justifications for systems including communications, autonomous vessel operations, and command and control, to support IEC 61508 safety case development
- Carrying out and analysing results of studies such as failure mode analysis, fault tree analysis, hazard identification and analysis, safety testing, FMEA etc.
- Production and maintenance of Safety Case documentation (plans, policies and reports) to support project milestones
- Generating and reviewing safety artefacts and deliverables to support system / product SIL assessment
- Engaging with third parties such as equipment or system suppliers to gather supporting safety case evidence
- Engage with the engineering teams to ensure the maximum reuse of ideas, concepts and strategies
- Produce and review implementation specifications that will be used by the Software Engineering team to produce the required software solutions.
- Work with hardware team to cascade current and future requirements into future hardware programs
- Organising and chairing hazard identification workshops and safety committee meetings
- Degree-level qualification in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable experience in safety engineering/ product safety, and activities contributing to the production of safety cases
- Sound theoretical & practical knowledge of functional safety engineering fundamentals
- Broad knowledge of industry safety standards (such as Def Stan, IEC, Mil Stan or similar)
- Ability to develop and implement a functional safety management system within the organisation
- Ability to carry out SIL verification and functional safety audits.
- Awareness of project management fundamentals
- Awareness of management of change processes
- Strong process discipline
- Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK without sponsorship
- Experience in the robotics and/or maritime industry
- Experience with embedded systems, controls and electronics (incl. typical communication protocols such as CAN)
- Relevant engineering qualification such as BEng/ MEng or equivalent
- A safety engineering specific qualification is a bonus, but not essential
Responsible to: Technical Director
Salary: Dependent on experience
To apply: Please e-mail your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com.
Click here for downloadable PDF.