Career Opportunity: Field Support Engineer
Wednesday April 12th, 2017
ASV Ltd is seeking an experienced Field Support Engineer, who, whilst based in Portsmouth will also be expected to travel extensively to support the commissioning, operation and maintenance of our rapidly expanding fleet of marine Autonomous Surface Vehicles.
The candidate will need to work alongside our build teams at ASV’s production facilities to assist in the initial commissioning and testing of the various vehicles we produce and then would be expected to support the ongoing maintenance and operation of the vehicles in the field. This support may involve extended periods working offshore at customer facilities.
Our ASVs are complex, cutting edge vehicles that are fitted with sophisticated software and electronic systems and their support will require a broad range of technical skills across a number of different disciplines.
The ideal candidate is likely to have extensive software, network and electrical experience preferably backed up with experience of supporting such equipment in the marine environment.
Field Support Engineer
About ASV Global:
We are a fast paced, rapidly expanding, world leading company, specialising in the design, build and operation of unmanned maritime vehicles and control systems. We operate in the Military, energy and research sectors and build innovative, technologically advanced products to solve difficult problems.
Our UK offices just outside Portsmouth, Hampshire provides a perfect location for the development and testing of our products. We solve the problems that others can’t.
Our success is due to the people we employ – if you’re smart, adaptable, highly productive, a team player and relish the challenge that comes with solving difficult problems then ASV Global is for you.
Portchester, Hampshire UK
- Supporting the commissioning and testing (both on and off the water) of the electrical and software systems onboard each of our vehicles during their production phase at our facilities near Portsmouth
- Supporting the ongoing operation and maintenance of the vehicles when deployed at customer locations including investigation and diagnosis of any technical issues the vehicle and its control system may experience
- Liaising directly with customers and their representatives when the vehicles are deployed in the field at customer locations
- Working closely alongside members of the ASV Operations team and the wider ASV team to ensure the continued efficient operation and refinement of our products by working with our clients to capture feedback and change requests etc.
This role will require worldwide travel, potentially at short notice.
- Basic C, C++ programming in a Linux environment
- Excellent networking knowledge in particular layer 2 and layer 3 functions, including: understanding of subnets, VLAN configuration, routing functions, DHCP, IPSec, L2TP and the ability to re-configure networks to meet changing demands.
- CentOS toolchain experience in a headless environment and use of tools such as GDB and Valgrind. The ability to install CentOS and deal with unexpected failures such as in the bootloader or partition mounting.
- Experience in the set up and fault finding of complex marine electrical systems and sensors including experience with NMEA2000 and NMEA0183
- Excellent electrical knowledge including the ability to understand electrical diagrams, understanding of various components such as relays, actuators and the ability to investigate and trace electrical issues.
- The ability to quickly locate the cause of a problem from a set of symptoms and the ability to either resolve locally or liaise effectively with shore based support teams to ensure such problems are dealt with quickly and efficiently
- To have strong organisational abilities, oral & written communications and interpersonal skills
- To be self-directed, organised, systematic, punctual, and goal-oriented
- Basic boat handling skills
- Basic mechanical systems such as marine engines, actuators
- WAGO PLC programming knowledge in structured text and use of debugging tools
- Working in the offshore environment
- Experience of, and interest in, the marine environment (either through business or leisure activities)
- Current Basic Offshore Safety Induction & Emergency Training (BOSIET) would also be an advantage but such training will be provided if necessary
Head of Control Systems
Dependent on experience.
CV’s with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for the downloadable PDF.